I have this well known problem about a recently installed WordPress.org that has an error on any part that tries to connect to the WordPress.org servers (updating, installing plugins, insalling themes, etc):
Warning: An unexpected error occurred. Something may be wrong with WordPress.org or this server’s configuration. If you continue to have problems, please try the support forums. WordPress could not establish a secure connection to WordPress.org. Please contact your server administrator.
I know that this sounds familiar. I’ve found hundreds of similar posts over the internet (here and other sites), but every single solution people give doesn’t work. Some posts even have tens of completely different answers like “just do this” with only frustrated people that can’t solve the problem with those (like me).
I’ve spent days trying to fix it with no solution So, yes, I’m kind of almost hopless now. I’d really appreciate if someone can lend me a hand with this.
This is what I have:
– A WordPress.org 5.4.1 fresh install
– MariaDB brand new database and user
– Apache server (“httpd”)
– PHP 7.4
– CentOS 8 in a GCloud VM micro-instance
– A just installed LetsEncrypt certification
This is what I’ve tried:
– Checked if cURL is installed
– Checked that OpenSSL is installed
– Manually added api.wordpress.org and downloads.wordpress.org IPs in my hosts file
– Checked that my firewalls allow 80 and 443 ports traffic in and out (gcloud and CentOS iptables/firewalld)
– Checked that ;extension=curl.so is present in my php.ini
– Checked that the vhost is correct in the apache conf file
– Checked that I can ping both WordPress URLs
– Prooooobably I’ve tried some other things, but I cannot remember now (seriously, I’m into this for like 4 hours now)
If someone has a clue on how to solve this, I’d be really happy. I can send any other information, log, or anything that is needed.
Thank you very much in advance!
The page I need help with: [log in to see the link]